Helping Healthcare Workers
We’ve collected resources to help those of you working in long term care and skilled nursing facilities during this time of crisis. We know that as caregivers in long term care, the threat of the virus is especially worrisome as you develop special bonds with the people you care for, often for many months or even years. We hope these resources offer ways for you to manage some of the stress and anxiety you may be feeling, and help you best care for your residents in the ways you normally do. If you have a resource you would like to add, please email us at: programs@paltcfoundation.
#We Are PALTC
- Headspace is offering some free meditations to help people during this time of the COVID-19 crisis.
- The Academic Consortium for Integrative Medicine & Health recorded a grand rounds video, “Professional Well-being in a Time of Crisis,” that you can access (along with other free resources).
- Recorded webinar that discusses self-care strategies for staff in LTC.
- “Dimensions: Work and Well-being Toolkit for Physicians” from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus School of Medicine
- Tips from a mental health practitioner for wellness during quarantine.
- A collective of experienced, licensed private practice therapists across the country that will support you with deeply discounted, short-term online therapy.
- Volunteer organization that will help match donors with protective supplies for healthcare workers.
- The Guggenheim Museum released more than 200 books about modern art free of charge.
- Down Dog is providing free access to all their apps for all healthcare professionals including Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout.
- SweetGreen will deliver free salads and bowls to hospitals in the cities they serve: DC, Philadelphia, Boston, New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston.
- Furbo Dog Cameras want to help front line workers keep tabs and interact with their fur babies. For a limited time, health workers can get a $200 Furbo for free.
- Guidance for Working With Residents With Dementia
- Activities that Older Adults Can Do
- Marriott has established a “Community Caregiver Rate” to offer heavily discounted rooms for COVID-19 responders should they need to be in closer proximity to work locations or have other reasons for needing a sleeping room other than their current residence.
- Heart of Hilton is offering special rates for those who need a home away from home.
- Google has partnered with over 500 museums and galleries worldwide to bring some art and culture into your home virtually.
- Stress Management During a Pandemic by Dr. Stephanie Knight, assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Coronavirus and Mental Health: Taking Care of Ourselves During Infectious Disease Outbreaks (APA)
- Taking Care of Patients During the Coronavirus Outbreak: A Guide for Psychiatrists (Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress, CSTS)
- Helping Patients Manage the Psychological Effects of Quarantine and Isolation (CSTS)
- How Healthcare Personnel Can Take Care of Themselves (CSTS)
- Supporting the Mental Health of Patients During COVID-19: A Guide for Healthcare Personnel (CSTS)
- Supporting Patients During Quarantine or Confinement (CSTS)
- Care for Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 (JAMA Insights: Clinical Update, March 11, 2020)
- Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, SAMHSA)
- Mitigating Risks for Contagion Stigma (APA Blog)
- Factors Associated With Mental Health Outcomes Among Health Care Workers Exposed to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (JAMA Network Open)